About Me

My photo
I was born in Pretoria, South Africa in 1991. I lived there for 16 years before my dad got offered a job in Norfolk, Virginia in the United States. I immigrated to the States with an open mind set and ready to take on a new life. I was pushed back a year and retook ninth grade in a new langauge. I am currently a Sophmore at Virginia Tech and i am studying to become a Construction Manager.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Visiting an old Friend

Today I am sitting in Virginia Beach, VA with my family.  First, I want to say that it is nice to be home.  I finally get my mom's homemade cooking and weather that is not below 60 degrees Fahrenheit every day.  It's the Monday before for thanksgiving and I am home alone, and my family is busy.  All my friends were away with their families and I had nothing to do, so I called my friend that has his own small residential construction company.

Gabe, who owns GGH Construction in Virginia Beach sounded very stunned when I called him. I know Gabe through working with him. I was working on a construction site where he was doing some framing.  It was not even a week later that Gabe called my boss and asked for me. Unfortunately, I was already at school and could not help him out.  I continued to work for him during my breaks.

His contact information is 757 235 0551 if you are every looking for someone to do some work for you in the area.  His specialty is wood framing.

After talking to Gabe, he told me that I was more than welcome to come along and see what he was doing.  He was working on a small porch off of South Plaza Road, Virginia Beach, VA.  The nice thing about this was that I did not have to sit around and just watch, I was able to roll my sleeves up and get my hands dirty.  Immediately, I climbed onto the roof and started tearing off the shingles.  Gabe works by himself, so he did not mind the extra help.

We had to tear down the shingles because we needed to extend the roof over the porch.  All I did for about 2 hours was tear shingles, collect shingles, and dump shingles.  Trust me this was not as easy as it sounds, especially since it is 73 degrees outside and I was bent over for hours.   I know 73 does not sound very hot, but when you are on a roof and the heat is reflecting off the shingles, it is pretty toasty.  I can't imagine how hot and hard it gets over the summer.  After all the shingles were dumped, I had to sweep the entire area to collect all the nails.

I only got to work a short time with Gabe, but I promised him that I would be back the next day because I am very interested to see some wood framing being done. 

So, please read tomorrow's post if you would like more details.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment