About Me

My photo
I was born in Pretoria, South Africa in 1991. I lived there for 16 years before my dad got offered a job in Norfolk, Virginia in the United States. I immigrated to the States with an open mind set and ready to take on a new life. I was pushed back a year and retook ninth grade in a new langauge. I am currently a Sophmore at Virginia Tech and i am studying to become a Construction Manager.

Monday, December 5, 2011

A new Irish Pub in Blacksburg




Castle's Kettle and Pub is one of the new buildings that is currently being constructed in the downtown Blacksburg area. The pub can be found near the corner of Turner Street and across from the Taco Bell in Blacksburg.  Here are a few details that were collected during my site visit. 

The weather was nice and sunny and the owner, Joe did not need to worry about any obstructions that may be caused.  I arrived on the site around 10:30am and went straight into action.  I was welcomed by Joe and he did not hesitate to tell me what he was doing. He was very helpful in answering any questions.  The first two questions I asked were, "Who is on the site?" and "Has anyone run into any challenges?"

The companies on site where Harrison Construction Inc. and ATR Construction Inc.  Harrison Construction is Joe's project manager and ATR Construction is subcontracted by Castle Flauds Inc. (owned by Joe).  Most of the construction was being done by ATR Construction, they were doing some interior framing while I was present.  On the other hand, Harrison Construction, was sitting down with Joe and discussing the deliveries of materials, the schedule, and the plan of action for the next day.  Joe was nice enough to let me sit through the meeting.  The biggest concern for Joe is the HVAC crew.  The HVAC subcontractor has been delaying their arival to the site because of another job and that is causing a delay on the schedule that was made earlier in the month.

Tomorrow's work should include more interior framing by the ATR crew. Joe's next concern should be to bring in the electrician in order to install outlets and lights in the bathroom before they can start installing the drywall.  The other subcontractor that needs to get on site is the MEP crew.  The bathrooms are going to need plumbing installed.  There is also a lot of minor trim work that needs to be done around the doors and windows.

Here are some pictures that I took while I was on the site.

Figure 1 was taken on the main floor of the Pub. There are a lot of nails, tail samples, caulk, and pieces of wood laying around.  The wooden structure that you see behind all the materials and equipment is the frame of the bar that will be completed later.

Figure 2, illustrates the side of the bar (on the right), the bathroom (on the back left), and the main entrance(straight ahead).  Figure 2 also shows the work bench right in the middle of the hall way.  This for me was a slight safety hazard and a problem because I had trouble walking around it and over everything that was laying on the floor.

You can see in Figure 3, below, that there is some pipe laying in the same pathway.  This does not seem very safe to me because the workers were walking in and out of the building, while others were framing the bathroom. The work area was very crammed.

Figure 1                                                               Figure 2                                        Figure 3

Figure 4 and 5 below are pictures taken from the outside of the Pub.  As you can see there is still a lot of exterior work that needs to be done.  The figures shows that the doors, windows, siding, and some exterior finishes still need to be constructed.  Figure 4 shows the main entrance to the Pub.  Their is still a main deck that is going to be installed installed on the outside.  The excavation and footings should start in about a weeks time.

                Figure 4                                                                       Figure 5

The last picture that i thought was important is the ghant schedule of the project.  The schedule is very detailed and shows the the starting dates, finishing dates, duration, and activities that start before, after, or at the same time as each other.  The ghant schedule is very easy to read and is probably to most common construction schedule used in residential and commercial building.  The schedule is recreated monthly by Harrison Construction Inc.

Figure 6



                                                  






This is my first construction report and I hope that you enjoyed it.  I want to thank Joe and his crew for letting me onto the site to increase my knowledge and learn new techniques about residential construction.  I will definately visit Castle's Kettle and Pub again during this week to examine the excavation for the outside deck.

Thank you for reading and all the best.

Mic

No comments:

Post a Comment