About Me

My photo
I was born in Pretoria, South Africa in 1991. I lived there for 16 years before my dad got offered a job in Norfolk, Virginia in the United States. I immigrated to the States with an open mind set and ready to take on a new life. I was pushed back a year and retook ninth grade in a new langauge. I am currently a Sophmore at Virginia Tech and i am studying to become a Construction Manager.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Castl's Kettle and Pub

Before I start I want to provide information that I collected on the site.

In the table above you can see everything that went on at the site.  The Kesler crew was finishing up the roof.  They were off of the roof within 15 minutes of my arrival.  The ATR Construction crew was inside rearanging materials so they can get ready for insulating the walls and installing the drywall after.  But before they can start on all that the fire department has to come do their inspection.  As I stated in my report the concrete crew was pressure washing the stamped concrete.  The reason they use the pressure washer is so that they can get all the dirt out of the grooves and also give the concrete a cleaner look (Figure 1)

                                                                             Figure 1

Just around the corner from where the concrete crew was working the executive chef for Castle's Kettle and Pub was finishing center block's with Virginia blue stone (Figure 2).  The Virginia blue stone comes in various odd shapes and sizes and the biggest challenge is to place these stones in a pattern that looks nice.  The blue stone is used to make the building look nicer and well rounded.  Andrew Wagoner, the executive chef told me that, " [they] had problems with getting a subcontractor in and [the subcontractor] was charging [them] way to much money".  He also said that " he has done it before so why not do it himself and save Joe a little money".  So Andrew grabbed a wheel barrow, mixed concrete and started to add the stone to the center block. Here is Andrew hard at work,
                  
                                                                                                               Figure 2
 
Andrew would just take a scoop full of cement, spread it on the center blocks, and then pick out a stone that looked like it fit the pattern (Figure 2).

In my Construction Principles class we learned that natural stone such as polished granite, limestone, marble, slate, and sandstone are all types of stone that is used to finish buildings.  The stone provides texture, color, and uniqueness to a building.  I would classify the stone pattern to be a random rubble pattern because the stones are all different shapes and sizes.

This is all I have for now.  Check in later for more construction reports.
Thank you for reading.

All the best
Mic

No comments:

Post a Comment